Chemonics IMACS Seeking Database and Information System Specialist
Database and Information System Specialist (DISS) – Indonesia
Chemonics International Inc. seeks a Database and Information System Specialist (DISS) for the USAID-funded Indonesia Marine and Climate Support (IMACS) Project. The goal of the IMACS Project is to contribute to the sustainable management of Indonesia’s marine and coastal ecosystems through support to the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF). For more information on the IMACS Project, please visit our website at www.imacsindonesia.com.
The IMACS Project is now in its fifth and final year, and is seeking a short-term, Database and Information System Specialist (DISS). The objective of this assignment is to assist Information Management and Monitoring Specialist (IMMS) in improving Pusat Penelitian Pengelolaan Perikanan dan Konservasi Sumber Daya Ikan (P4KSI) enterprise database system. These activities will include assessment, analyzing, programming, documentation, and training.
Ultimately, this assignment will contribute to more effective fishery management, thereby improving food security and conserving marine biodiversity.
This position is based in Jakarta, beginning on/around June 1, through August 28, 2015. This assignment may require occasional travel to field locations within Indonesia.
Specific tasks and responsibilities of the position include:
- Refine research database for P4KSI
- Finalize research database for P4KSI user guide and technical report
- Once the database has been developed, conduct tests to check the effectiveness, integrity, relevance, internal – and external consistency, and validity of the database system and its data, and ensure compatibility with the GIS system that will be developed in parallel;
- Document the design and the user guidelines of the developed and tested database systems, and required reports;
- Support the IMMS to train the intended users of the database systems regarding the design and the application of the database systems;
- Conduct technical and information-sharing meetings with the MMAF regarding the design and use of the developed database systems;
- Assist the MMAF database operators as and when required regarding troubleshooting
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Computer science or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years practical experience working in Information Technology (IT) and database design and implementation, with 2 years’ experience in data collection and data entry.
- Experience in the design and development of relational database systems is a pre-condition.
- Proficient in development and implementation of medium-sized systems of networking and internet is an advantage.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of MySQL Database and is preferably also experienced with PostGreSQL Database Server.
- Advanced knowledge of all MS Office products is necessary and a working knowledge of GIS application is also necessary.
- The ability to program PHP and HTML would be an advantage
- Experience working in the fisheries or marine resources management is a plus.
- He/she should have the capacity to perform efficiently and effectively in a highly demanding working environment with tight deadlines.
- Excellent conceptual, analytic and computer application skills are a pre-requisite for the assignment.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills and training/facilitation skills are considered essential as well as demonstrated personal initiative, particularly in technical skill development.
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to IMACSproject@gmail.com by May 25, 2015 with “Database and Information System Specialist (DISS)” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
In addition, please download and complete Chemonics’ equal employment opportunity self-identification form and submit it separately to EEOselfidentify@chemonics.com
with only “Database and Information System Specialist (DISS)” in the subject line. If you prefer not to disclose your sex, race, or ethnicity, you may check “I do not wish to complete the information requested.” Thank you for completing the form and supporting our equal employment opportunity reporting requirements.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.